Mud Lake Studios is dedicated to providing a safe, positive, accessible, environmentally conscious, member-based space open to anyone and their creative process to grow as an artist, to hone their craft, to learn new skills, and to engage in a welcoming, like-minded community of individuals.
QR Code Link to This Post
The studio manager will uphold and promote these values as outlined in the Membership Agreement and Mission Statement and work independently to manage the day-to-day needs of the studio and its community members while reporting directly to the owner.
• Load, fire, and unload kilns in a manner that maximizes time and efficiency; Set schedule for firing assistants; Collaborate with instructors on a schedule for them to fire their class wares, be sure class wares are ready for pick up within 2 weeks of finishing a class.
• Mix community glazes
• Maintain equipment such as kilns and furniture, slab rollers, tables, and wheels; coordinate repair of equipment as needed.
• Maintain safe, clean, and functional environment; organize and execute quarterly studio clean up; empty and clean sink trap quarterly. Manage reclaim clay tables, teach and manage firing assistants in these tasks.
• Manage artists firing their own kilns via the certification process; instruct and test.
• Onboard new members and employees.
• Work in the shop and manage schedules for shop employees.
• Merchandise and organize shop displays.
• Maintain a Google calendar for firings, classes and events for both studio members and the public; update Mud Lake Studios website and any other applicable online calendar such Source Weekly.
• Work with the owner and team to identify and implement studio systems.
• Keep track of inventory, prepare orders for supplies and materials; track, re-stock and store inventory for shop and studio, Prepare orders placed via website for pick-up.
• Collaborate on planning of community-based ceramics and education activities.
• Develop classes and events with the priority of diversity and inclusivity; schedule and coordinate with hosts, instructors, and participants to ensure guidelines are understood (including waivers); set up for and clean up after each class and event; follow-up promptly with participants and instructors for feedback. There should be TWO class offerings per week and at least ONE workshop per month.
• Engage with the members and the public through a monthly newsletter and a weekly (minimum) social media post on Facebook and Instagram, and respond to inquiries promptly.
• Plan and implement marketing communications through various media including but not limited to social media, newspaper ads, newsletters, and posters; any press release requires approval from the owner.
• Identify and request within budget any items needed for classes and events at least 2-4 weeks before the day of the class or event.
• Maintain a friendly, approachable attitude. Be a good resource for the studio and public.
• Attend all management and studio meetings.
• Additional tasks may be required.
• Be on time and prepared for each shift.
• Be a friendly, helpful resource in the studio and maintain a positive, patient presence with other members.
• Set boundaries with other members for personal work time outside Studio Manager hours.
• Keep a balanced firing schedule for personal and/or private firings and community firings.
• Communicate urgent needs to owner in person or via a phone call; less urgent needs should be communicated via email.
• Report to owner and communicate with members any drips, explosions, or issues with work causing damage.
• Speak with owner directly in the case of any uncertainty.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Self-motivated and self-directed.
• Excellent organizational and written communication skills.
• Leadership and/or management experience.
• Strong critical thinking and time management skills.
Ninteen (19) hours per week as follows:
• Monday, 10 AM - 12 PM
• Wednesday, 9 AM - 5 PM
• Thursday, 10 AM - 5 PM
• Friday, 10 AM - 12 PM
This is subject to change at discretion of owner as studio needs evolve.
• $23-27.50/hour, based on experience.
• 50% off discount on private studio membership if applicable.
• 15 % discount on all items in shop, + 10% neighbor discount on businesses in Iron Work District.
• Initial performance review to be conducted after 90 days; subsequent reviews will be conducted yearly.